CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 8, 2011

{i (heart) reading}

Anyone that knows me knows I read, a lot! I take after my dad in that department. My mother reads but really she only became a reader in the last half of her life. I began reading my Disney Fairy Tale books early on and was hooked. I read those over and over. You remember those don't you? Cute hand drawn illustrations with the golden binding of those Little Golden books.

I eventually graduated from childrens books to teen books like Sweet Valley High, The Hardy Boys and who could forget Judy Blume. Are you there God it's me, Tara, I mean Margaret. Did you all read those books and "connect" with them as well? At some point in my early teen years I saw my Mom reading Flowers in the Attic. I was so hooked on that series I reread them for years. I read so many V.C. Andrews books that at some point she (the author) had passed away and I didn't even know it since her family hired a ghost writer to continue with her "style" of books. Very lucrative for them but soon I grew bored with type of story they were always telling.

One day I picked up one of my dads books and read my first Dean Koontz. Not my favorite genre of book but I've read a few more of his and enjoy them from time to time. Now, I was late into my teen years by this time. I would frequently stop in at Clove Lakes Book Store and browse while traveling on the bus home from classes at Wagner. Sometimes buying a book, sometimes not. Whenever in the mall I would frequently browse Waldenbooks. There was no Barnes and Noble in the mall back then. Borders were what you found trying to get from Canada or Mexico to the U.S. While Amazon was just a jungle. Reading for school was alright and I usually got by well enough since I didn't mind reading but when I had a book in my hands that I chose, I would tear it up. Not literally my dad would have yelled at me. I learned early on you don't dog ear pages and be careful with the binding don't open a book and flatten it or spread it out. It breaks the binding and weakens it. Don't hurt your books people. Hey what can I say that was my dad. Anyway, I would tear a book up and read them voraciously. Especially my guilty indulgence in romance books. Harlequins were quick reads and hey they always had a happy ending. Eventually I read authors like Barbara Delinsky, Nora Roberts and Sandra Brown. I read those 3 authors pretty exclusively for quite a few years. 

What have I been reading the last few years? A very eclectic bunch of books actually. Everything from self help to religion to the actual Bible to harlequins to Twilight to Tori Spelling to Andre Agassi to the classics. Right now I'm rereading Anne of Green Gables. It was written for middle school age children, girls, I guess. But I hadn't read it until high school when the PBS movies were on television. Loved them then and love them now. I haven't blogged in a few months. Shame on me, I know. But I had no problem thinking this whole post up once I decided to write about reading. I'm going to end here and ask you this. What have you been reading lately? What's sitting on your nightstand waiting to be picked up and read? 

No comments:

Post a Comment