CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 12, 2010

{church}

I have been thinking a lot lately about finding a Church to attend near my home. I regularly attended a Lutheran Church when I lived in NY(2009) and find myself missing it more and more as time goes on. Especially this time of year. I enjoyed the Pot Luck Dinners, Bible Study before Sunday Service, decorating the Church before Christmas and even sitting with my friends father each Sunday morning. I proudly became a member of the Church a few weeks after beginning to attend. That was a big deal to me since I have never regularly attended any church in my lifetime. Wait that's not true. I attended a Catholic Church in 2001 for about a year in order to be married there but honestly never felt I was a part of it since I wasn't the Catholic one. But once married to the X he promptly announced we would not be going back. I am not Catholic so it upset me to know that he (the Catholic one) didn't want to attend. I don't understand how someone doesn't want to be a part of their community.

I had a need or urge to attend Church regularly. Not sure why but most of my adult life I've felt that way.At some point I discovered Joel Osteen. I watch regularly and I learn something new every time. I've seen him speak in person to. LOVED it. It empowered me, inspired me, this may sound cheesy but I literally felt lifted up and raised to a new level when I left Yankee Stadium that night. It made my heart happy.

Nick is Catholic. He has not attended Church regularly since he was a child. I can't receive Communion at a Catholic Church unless I become Catholic. I am Protestant, no offense to Catholics but I wish to remain a Protestant. I was christened by an Episcopal Priest at about 3 or 4 months old. I did not practice any religion growing up with the exception of Easter Sundays in Church with my grandparents. I would sit as a little girl and scuff up my patent leather shoes as I sat there looking cute in my new dress and coat. That Church was Presbyterian. I still don't understand all the differences between the types of Protestant Churches but hope to one day learn them. My whole point is this, from the beginning of my relationship with Nick, he has expressed that he would go to Church with me. I believe at first it was said to merely gain some brownie points. Ha! His sister nearly fell over when he said this to me as she was there to witness it. But as time has progressed he has emphatically expressed that he will still go to Church with me. One thing is it's my job is to figure out where we're going.

We've asked around. At his job he's spoken to a fellow worker about a non-denominational Church nearby. I've also heard about the same place and it sounds like a good place. But I've also looked into two Lutheran Churches and a Methodist Church as well. Might just have to make a list and start attending one by one. I strongly believe that just like when I attended Our Saviour Lutheran in NY, I'll know if it's right just by being there. It will feel right.

No comments:

Post a Comment